"popcorn windows"

Erin McKean editor at VERBATIMMAG.COM
Wed Jan 16 14:44:24 UTC 2002

I don't think it necessarily means the incessant "whack-a-mole"
windows; rather, I think he wanted to use a word that meant both
pop-up and pop-under.

Here's the quote:

Consequently I am a BIG fan of web pages that don't waste my precious
bandwidth--which is to say, my time. I like sites which are NOT
top-heavy with dancing chickens (animated graphics, java routines,
Quicktime movies, popcorn windows, etc) that take forever to
download, supply no useful information...and not uncommonly crash my
archaic (vintage 1995) browser.

it's from http://www.baen.com/press.htm (where incidentally they have
the first chapter up of the new Miles Vorkosigan book that's due out
in May).

--Erin