Palatschinken, Haluska, Frankfurter (Baedeker, 1911)

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Tue May 7 15:28:27 UTC 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

#>#..._Ciorba_, a kind of sour soup, made with lamb or chicken
#>#
#>#Probably the Rumanian spelling for the Turkish "chorba" = "soup" in
#>
#>Looks more Italian to me. Wouldn't Rum. spelling use c-cedilla?
#
#Romanian resembles Italian! Well, sort of .... It has s-cedilla and
#t-cedilla (to take some liberties with the nomenclature perhaps) but no
#c-cedilla. Romanian "c" is like Italian "c". The modern Romanian spelling
#apparently is "ciorba" (with breve on the "a"). And this word is
#conventional Romanian, although originally from Turkish. There is also
#"supa" (with breve "a"). Serbo-Croatian also has both, I guess: Croatian
#"supa", "corba" (with hacek on the "c").

Ah, thanks for the correction.

-- Mark