'circulation-goosing' - new term?

Thu Oct 31 07:15:59 UTC 2002

Patty Davies asks about the meanings of "goosing" and "canoodling"; she
thought perhaps the latter referred to goings-on in restaurants.

To *goose* is to stimulate, boost, goad, urge to action, etc. I believe
it's been in general slang/informal use in the U.S. for some time. It can
be applied to circulation or anything or anyone where it seems to fit.

To *canoodle*--both AE and BE and dating from the mid-19th century--is to
kiss and cuddle (to engage in what was known a couple of generations back
as "necking" or "petting" and subsequently as "making out"). It need not
take place in an eating establishment.

--Dodi Schultz

More information about the Ads-l mailing list