further antedating of "screw ball" 1919

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Feb 22 03:16:34 UTC 2004

Continuing to battle it out, we find in newspaperarchive--

19 Aug. 1919  _Iowa City Citizen(IA)_   5/5

A story about Carl Mays being the only "underhanded pitcher of any real class in the major leagues...."

As a side note, I wonder if Carl wasn't what was called in modern terms a "submarine" pitcher?  Did he "really" pitch underhand?  I doubt it.

<<Mays has a fast ball, regardless of the fact that to the fan in the grandstand it may look more like a slow one.  His best ball is known among the members of the Red Sox as the screw ball, which is a new one.  It is so called because it is alleged to twist as do the threads of a screw.  It twirls sideways in coming up to the batter, and when it is working good it breaks in toward the right-handed hitters rather than away from them.>>

SC