Experts List for Interviews

Dennis Baron debaron at UIUC.EDU
Wed Jan 7 14:59:24 UTC 2004

Count me in, Grant.

On Wednesday, January 7, 2004, at 08:07 AM, Grant Barrett wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Grant Barrett <gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG>
> Subject:      Experts List for Interviews
> --------
>
> Folks, the requests for interviews with media related to the ADS Words
> of the Year vote are beginning to appear. Like last year, I am putting
> together an "experts" list that I can give out to media requesting
> interviews via the ADS web site. I send the list, they decide who to
> call.
>
> If you are interested in being on that list, please send the following:
>
> Name: Dennis Baron

> Organization/Employer: Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

> Title/Occupation: Prof. of English and linguistics

> Pertinent professional affiliations: ADS, MLA, LSA, NCTE, CCCC
> Relevant books, articles, or research:

areas of research: language change and reform; language and public
policy; language legislation and linguistic rights; minority languages
and dialects; official English; language and gender; literacy;
technology issues

publications: Guide to Home Language Repair; Declining Grammar; The
English-Only Question; Grammar and Gender; Grammar and Good Taste

op ed essays on language issues in: NY Times, Washington Post, Chicago
Tribune; Atlanta Constitution; Chronicle of Higher Education; Education
Week

> Other areas of specialty you are capable of going on about:

the state of the language; education issues, particularly relating to
language

> Preferred Phone for Contact:

mobile: 217-840-0776
home: 217-351-6471
office: 217-244-0568
English department: 217-333-2390

debaron at uiuc.edu

> Anything else you feel might "hook" a journalist

frequent appearances on radio; frequently consulted by journalists

> Thanks,
>
> Grant
>

> --
> Grant Barrett
> gbarrett at americandialect.org
> American Dialect Society webmaster
> http://www.americandialect.org/

Dennis Baron                                                office: 217-244-0568
Professor of English and Linguistics              mobile: 217-840-0776
Department of English                                           fax: 217-333-4321
University of Illinois                  http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~debaron
608 S. Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61801
debaron at uiuc.edu