Ivy Colleges (1934)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 19 03:06:44 UTC 2006

Hey, Geoff
Long time, no see. How long has it been? A quarter-century or more?
Time flies, whether you're having a good time or not.

FWIW, by 1957 in the BE slang of Los Angeles, "Ivy League" had spread
from naming a clothing style to naming a hair style, without losing
its original reference. The Ivy-League haircut was a kind of reverse
afro. The barber used his electric clippers to cut a person's hair as
short as possible. The point was the same as that of the natural/afro:
to obviate the distinction between "good" hair and "bad" - in the
"bad" sense - hair in aid of racial solidarity. Men and boys with
really "bad" hair have been wearing their hair like this since only
God knows when.

It never really caught on, since it did nothing to alleviate the
distinction in women's hair, where it was of far greater importance.
OTOH, the few guys who did wear this style were considered to be "bad"
in the good sense.

-Wilson