"Plough with the favorite heifer", 1749

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jun 6 23:03:10 UTC 2006

Perhaps the representation was to allow this interpretation--such
ribaldry was not uncommon.  But perhaps unlikely in a struggling
provincial paper of the time.  Cranfield (my source for this and the
phrase itself; "The Development of the Provincial Newspoaper,
1700-1760) writes that there were serious fears of libel suits, as
well as cases lost by printers.

Joel