Who'll Get The Last Ho Ho Ho?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 8 14:30:39 UTC 2007

At 9:06 AM -0400 8/8/07, Frank Abate wrote:
>Doug Harris's post re Don Imus is cc'd below.
>
>My point, given the "tag" Doug gives Imus, lumping him with Howard Stern:
>
>If you were a regular Imus listener (I was), and also caught any of Stern's
>shows, I think you'd agree that the two are VERY different.  Imus tries to
>be funny and is sometimes crude, even insulting.  Stern, OTOH, is into
>sexual provocation and titillation.  Stern can be funny but is always crude.
>
>"Imus in the Morning" featured comedy/parody that skewered everyone.  It
>also included news, musical guests, political commentary, author interviews,
>and some celebs.  It was an excellent show.
>
>Imus spoke foolish and insulting words on the air in April.  He should have
>known better.  At the time he apologized, both on his show and privately to
>the Rutgers team and their parents, in New Jersey.
>
>Imus handled himself decently at the time.  He was fired because the swirl
>of controversy seemed to call for it.  Something had to be done.
>
>I liked Imus's show and hope he does return.  I shun Stern's show.
>
>Frank Abate

What he said.  (Except that I was an *ir*regular listener, having
switched to Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN radio when they
started up.  Also he could have been more gracious about *when* he
apologized, so I was a little conflicted, but I agree with Frank that
the baby shouldn't necessarily have had to be thrown out with the
dirty bathwater.)

LH