A triviality

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 21 23:22:31 UTC 2007

Some while ago, we discussed the ambiguity inherent in the opening of
a Vietnam-War novel:

"All war stories start the same way. This is no shit."

Does the author mean to say that all war stories in general start with
the words, "this is no shit"? Or does he mean to say that the *claim*
that all war stories in general start the same way is "no shit," i.e.
true?

So, for the hell of it, I Google-Booksed "this is no shit." And,
wonder of wonders, it turns out that not only do all war stories in
general start with the words, "This is no  shit," but also so do all
*sea* stories! Author after author says so or does so. Hence, it turns
out that both interpretations are true.

This is no shit.

E.g.:

"... [T]he only difference between a fairy tale and a war story is
that one begins, 'Once upon a time,' and the other starts, '_This is
no shit_.'"

www.curtainup.com/timelyquotes.html

-Wilson
-----