antedating (?) "Katy, bar the door" (1890)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 5 12:23:22 UTC 2007

Of course /pak/ to us does not look like it contains the "ah" sound, but rather like it's pronounced "pack" in American English.  The best choice to spell the "ah" sound is "aa" as in "Saab".  In truespel it would be ~paak.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 00:03:15 -0400
> From: hwgray at GMAIL.COM
> Subject: Re: antedating (?) "Katy, bar the door" (1890)
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Wilson Gray
> Subject: Re: antedating (?) "Katy, bar the door" (1890)
>
> Bruce Dern! I knew that "Park" was really "Pak," but I thought that
> the r-ful spelling was the consequence of Americanization driven by
> the large number of units of the 8th Army stationed in South Korea.
> Wasn't there a president known as Park Chung-Hee or something similar,
> back in the day?
>
> -Wilson
>
> On 10/3/07, Dennis R. Preston  wrote:
>> Sender: American Dialect Society
>> Poster: "Dennis R. Preston"
>> Subject: Re: antedating (?) "Katy, bar the door" (1890)
>>
>> Wudn jus Harris; plenty of such "r" usage, even in the British
>> influenced spelling of Korea names (e.g., all the poor guys named
>> 'Park' who get called /park/ instead of /pak/).
>>
>> dInIs
>>

>>>---------------------- Information from the mail header
>>>-----------------------
>>>Sender: American Dialect Society
>>>Poster: Wilson Gray
>>>Subject: Re: antedating (?) "Katy, bar the door" (1890)
>>>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>I considered giving consideration to the work of Harris before I wrote
>>>and decided, "Fuck it. I'm not going to make any attempt to account
>>>for Harris's orthography, as opposed to the orthography here. Unless
>>>it can be shown that Harris's orthography set a standard that was
>>>followed by all other writers attempting to render into writing the BE
>>>dialects of their localities, Harris's orthography, which I've found
>>>not worth the effort to decipher, to the extent that I've read
>>>probably less than a paragraph of his work in the original, is
>>>irrelevant. Indeed, even if it could shown that Harris's work did set
>>>the orthographic standard, it can not be shown that every writer used
>>>it. It's not even true that current standard English, as native
>>>speakers write it, has a single, invariant orthography. I know what
>>>I've heard and, if I want to hear it again, right now, all that I have
>>>to do is to call Cudn Lois or fire up the right blues recording.
>>>
>>>That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
>>>
>>>-Wilson

>>>--
>>>All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
>>>come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>>>-----
>>> -Sam'l Clemens

>>>The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>>

>> --
>> It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
>> himself [sic] in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man
> [...]

Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at last.  Get it now.