Lightning chess

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 4 19:28:18 UTC 2008

Not a clock. A timer. A player makes his move and smacks the top of
the timer with the palm of his hand to reset it for his opponent's
move. I assume that the top of the timer has some mechanism that
supports this. I've never really looked at it, having no personal
interest in this version of the game

-Wilson.

On Feb 4, 2008 2:49 AM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Lightning chess
>
> I have to admit, I haven't ever seen such a clock.
>
> The only chess clocks we could afford kept track of the overall time,
> not the time for each move.
>
> I do use byo-yomi, basically a form of per-move timing, when playing go,
> but do so over the Internet with computers keeping track of per-move
> time. BB
>
> Wilson Gray wrote:
> > Interesting. My experience agrees with AHD4. I've never played it
> > myself, but I've seen it played by others - I had a roommate who was a
> > player - and a timer was used to ensure that moves were made within
> > the time alloted. Most players made their moves in about three
> > seconds.
> >
> > -Wilson
> >
> > On Feb 3, 2008 11:32 PM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >

> >> The AHD4 says that "lightning chess" means "A form of chess in which
> >> each move must be completed within a very short time, usually ten seconds".
> >>
> >> When I played lightning chess in the early 1980s, we played with a
> >> maximum of five or ten minutes per player, not with a set time per move.
> >> Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_chess) confirms that
> >> playing with time per player is not the most common form of lightning chess.
> >>
> >> Further reference is available at
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_control#Overtime_formats.

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens