Truespel Spam

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 4 20:48:38 UTC 2008

> I don't recall anyone calling you non-theological.

It was in the last MAM-ogram where he also wishes to stigmatize anyone responding to my posts.  This does not display a very hospitable forum.   But this is America, and the venerable American Dialect Society.  I think it can handle a few intolerant ranters.

I hope the ADS will be open minded when it comes to future phonetics, especially in regards to simplifying it enough for children.  It is proven that phonemic awareness is the key to learning reading.  SAMPA doesn't cut for English.  But that figures.  In 1987 when SAMPA was started in Europe, America was not invited to participate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAMPA.  So they end up with "dz" for the ~j sound, and "j" for the ~y sound and many special symbols.  I think if we were not invited, the thinking must have been we can take care of ourselves.  Let's do, and come up with an American-first English based phonetic system that our kids and media can use.  Simpler is better.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

> [...]
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Laurence Horn
> Subject: Re: Truespel Spam
>
> At 7:14 PM +0000 2/4/08, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>>This is a wonderful open minded forum. It's American. I'm a dues
>>paying member of the
>>ADS and glad to participate. I focus on phonetics and merely
>>mention truespel to point out that I do have expertise in this area
>>having respelled the English language phonetically. Not only that
>>but I've done analyses of the frequency of phonemes in relation to
>>their tradspeleeng (letter strings that spell phonemes). I assume
>>the ADS is the place to be to lead with ideas.
>>
>>As far as what you say is "hospitality and good will here" take a
>>look at past emails directed at me. Where I offer opinions and
>>attack no one, I've come under personal attack frequently. I've
>>been called a troll, crank, ignorant, non-theological, and now you
>>call me a spammer. Check the emails as to hospitality.
>
> I don't recall anyone calling you non-theological.
>
> LH
>

>>My thrust is that a simplified English-based phonetic spelling is
>>necessary especially for children and second language learners. It
>>appears that England is leaning this way as well. See thier
>>phonetics at
>>http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/publications/literacy/948809/nls_phonics028004intro.pdf
>>Take a look as well at the McGraw-Hill children's dictionary. This
>>is another recent phonetic spelling. I dare say no practical
>>English based phonetic system will use SAMPA. This is America.
>>English is the lingua franca of the world because of the USA. Time
>>to get with it.
>>
>>I've introduced several ways to put sound files in this forum, which
>>is about dialects. I think we all should participate with sound
>>files of our speech whenever possible. Glad to lead the way.
>>
>>Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL5+
>>See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems"
>>at authorhouse.com.
>>
>>> Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 01:13:07 +0800
>>> From: mcclay at TAOLODGE.COM
>>> Subject: Truespel Spam
>>> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

>>>-----------------------
>>> Sender: American Dialect Society
>>> Poster: Russ McClay
>>> Subject: Truespel Spam
>>>
>>>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Hey Tom --
>>>
>>> TZ => My life's work now is truespel,
>>> TZ => which is a simple phonetic spelling.
>>>
>>> In my blunt opinion, this constant harping of the
>>> Virtues of Truespel is bordering on rude spam to
>>> this academic mailing list.
>>>
>>> Personally I think you're taking advantage of the
>>> hospitality and good will here with your repetitive
>>> self-testimonials about your spelling system.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Russ

>>Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge

Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give.