buttockses (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 12 00:25:54 UTC 2008

When joke pronunciations have been around long enough or are
introduced in such a way as to persuade enough unlearned hearers that
the joking pronunciation is correct, it tends to become treated as
correct. Consider the pronunciation [b^ taks / b^ tOks] replacing
[b^t at ks].

-Wilson

On 2/11/08, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: buttockses (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Gary Oldman played a white pimp (named Drexl Spivey) who was doing his
> best to live a black lifestyle (dreadlocks, AAVE, referred to whites and
> blacks as though he were black) in the movie "True Romance" (written by
> Quentin Tarentino).  He referred to "breasteses" at least once in the
> film, and in what was probably a serious way.  I can only take it to
> mean that Tarentino thought this was a legit AAVE usage.
>
> Other quotes from Drexl (from IMDB, and what purports to be an online
> script):
> "They got everything here from a diddled-eyed joe to damned if I know. "
> "Now I know I'm pretty, but I ain't as pretty as a couple of titties. "
> "Damn skippy."
> "Next time you bogart your way into a nigger's crib, an' get all his
> face, make sure you do it on white boy day."

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens