Defining "pimp"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 22 18:15:34 UTC 2008

(O.T.) Way back in the 'Fifties, I read a true-life book (perhaps not
exactly the phraseology I'm looking for, but you know what I trying to
say), written by / ghost-written for a white prostitute about her life
in The Sporting Life with a white pimp. Apparently, beating the living
shit out of a woman to break her in so that she can be turned out is
pimp S.O.P., judging by her book. It reminds me of the "seasoning" of
fresh-out-of-Africa slaves or even the "breaking" of horses.

-Wilson

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>  Subject:      Re: Defining "pimp"
>
>  Wilson writes, "For any Freudians who care, whores addressed their pimps as 'daddy'
>  and their tricks as 'baby,' whereas tricks addressed the whores as
>  'mama.'"
>
>   And in old movies, guys addressed prostitutes as "sister."
>
>   Dysfunctional.
>
>   JL
>

>  Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens