vivacious

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 10 03:07:15 UTC 2009

At 10:25 PM -0400 7/9/09, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>In the late '70s I was told that "vivacious" was sexist and should not be
>used.

I think of "pert", "perky", and "sultry" as
(almost) equally female-restricted as "vivacious"
(and "sultry" as brunette-restricted).  Also
"petite" (not too many men are described as
"petit" in English).  And "buxom", but at least
there's a fairly obvious motivation for the
asymmetry in that case.

LH