This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue May 19 16:45:23 UTC 2009

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I also recall another comedian on the subject, who used high-grade
Chinet-type paper plates instead of the flimsy ones, because "I like
nice things".  Kevin Meaney????

---------------
> --------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
> Subject:      Re: This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things (UNCLASSIFIED)

> --------
>
>         Thanks, Bill.  Of course, as Barbara Need noted, the
> collocation
> is undistinctive and must have been used many times before Poundstone
> made it part of her act, leading to its becoming an Internet meme.
>
>         I had noticed that Poundstone was quoted as having used the
> line, but my source was later than the SNL usage.  It's interesting to
> see who stole from whom.
>

> John Baker

Saddam