Interesting phrasing

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 24 16:55:04 UTC 2011

I meant to imply only that saying the quake "was felt in 22 states and
Canada," without specifying whether it was felt by actual human beings in
all 22, makes it seem far worse than it was.

As do the inevitable maps highlighting the full territory of all 22 states,
which makes it look like the quake set people vibrating all along the
Mississippi and on Lake Superior's northwestern shore.

Anyway, Verizon still wasn't "in the middle of an earthquake."  If Richard
Young was scared out of his wits when he said so, however, I'm willing to
cut him some slack.

JL