more soccer broadcasts

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 3 19:44:07 UTC 2011

First, another reversal:

"I don't know where the two goals are going to come from, let alone one."

Second, a comment from the same British commentator as above noting that a
team started "on the front foot". This is the opposite of being "on the back
foot", but actually the same as keeping an opponent "on the back foot".
We've had a brief discussion of this earlier.

I am somewhat hesitant to deal with this particular source because I am not
particularly impressed with the general quality of his commentary, which
makes me suspect some afternoon imbibing (purely a speculation on my part).
Still, the expressions are there.

Another interesting bit from the same source is that he pronounces the "s"
in the middle of Brazilian names as "sh". In particular, I noticed this for
"Costa" and "Ester"--two names where I would have never expected it. It's a
bit less clear with "Cristiane" (in fact, clearly absent in the last mention
I just heard) and absent between vowels (Rosana). But he does the same thing
with Norwegian names (Giske, Stensland). I know the tournament is being
played in Germany, but does this pronunciation make any sense?

VS-)

PS: This is the man: http://goo.gl/Ig8pR