Democrats fall in love, and Republicans fall in line.

James A. Landau <JJJRLandau@netscape.com> JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Thu Jan 5 23:16:18 UTC 2012

The second paragraph of today's George Will column contains an "axiom" which I have never heard before:

<quote>
Rick Santorum has become central because Iowa Republicans ignored an axiom that is as familiar as it is false: Democrats fall in love, and Republicans fall in line. Republicans, supposedly hierarchical, actually are — let us say the worst — human. They crave fun. Supporting Mitt Romney still seems to many like a duty, the responsible thing to do. Suddenly, supporting Santorum seems like a lark, partly because a week or so ago he could quit complaining about media neglect and start having fun, which is infectious.
</quote>

Has anybody heard this proverb (or whatever) before?

The closest I can think of is a line by (I think) Tip O'Neil.  He was delivering a set of FACETIOUS "Republicans do x, Democrats do y" statements, and ended with something like "Democrats believe in sex.  That's why there are more Democrats than Republicans".

WARNING to anyone intending to read this particular George Will column---only the first part is amusing.  The last part is a polemic.

     - James A. Landau