Fisher revival

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 11 19:44:21 UTC 2012

My favorite "fishers" of recent times were the "flirty fishers" of the
Children of God cult of the '70s:

In 1976, Berg encouraged the women members of the group to engage in
"flirty fishing". The term was based on Jesus' injunction "Follow Me, and I
will make you fishers of men" (Matthew 4:19). Women members were urged to
go into bars and befriend men. They were expected to seduce potential male
converts if necessary to in order to encourage them towards a religious
conversion and membership in the organization. The media had a feeding
frenzy with this innovative form of evangelism, portraying the COG women as
"Hookers for Jesus." In his 1979 annual report, Berg stated that his
"FFers" (Flirty Fishers) had "witnessed to over a quarter of a million
souls, loved over 25,000 of them and won about 19,000 to the Lord."

http://www.eaec.org/cults/cog.htm

Eric