Words beginning graduate students don't know

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Oct 11 00:26:13 UTC 2013

On Oct 10, 2013, at 5:02 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:

> I don't know what a palisade is, either, though I do know the pronunciation.

It's one of those cultural advantage things--growing up in Washington Heights (NYC), right across the river from the Palisades, which were also the site of the nearest amusement park, we had a leg up.  Of course, we would have guessed that palisades had to be in New Jersey, but at least we'd heard of them.

LH