Words beginning graduate students don't know

Fri Oct 11 01:32:41 UTC 2013

Laurence Horn wrote
> It's one of those cultural advantage things--growing up in Washington Heights (NYC),
> right across the river from the Palisades, which were also the site of the nearest
> amusement park, we had a leg up.  Of course, we would have guessed that
> palisades had to be in New Jersey, but at least we'd heard of them.

As a youngster I was familiar with the term "palisades". I knew it
referred to a type of amusement park.

Palisades Amusement Park
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palisades_Amusement_Park

The knowledge gaps of upcoming generation are extraordinary. Luckily
any comments about "the youth of today" or "what the world is coming
to" can be handled well  with a fake quotation or two:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01/misbehaving-children-in-ancient-times/
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/10/22/world-end/