White Supremacist Fliers Found on Fort Carson

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Jun 18 22:57:08 UTC 2014

It doesn't sound unusual to me. "On the fort" or "at the fort" would sound
odd to my ears, but not "on Fort Carson" or "at Fort Carson."

What would be unusual would be for an Army publication like "Stars and
Stripes" (which is where the military.com article is from) to say "on the
base." The Navy and Air Force have bases; the Army has posts. And indeed,
the article does use the phrase "on the post." (It's kind of an Army
shibboleth. You can tell that anyone who refers to an Army post as a "base"
isn't an Army person.)

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
David A. Daniel
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:44 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: White Supremacist Fliers Found on Fort Carson

I didn't think it surprising that a white supremacist group would try to
recruit soldiers. I do find it surprising that no one mentioned the "on Fort
Carson" usage. Even the Army Times, which is cited by the military.com
article, says "at Fort Carson" in its article on the subject. I recognize
"on the base," or "on base," but "on the fort"?
DAD

Poster:       Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
---

Are there people begging for propaganda??

DanG

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:16 AM, W Brewer <brewerwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Poster:       W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      White Supremacist Fliers Found on Fort Carson

---

> <<White Supremacist Fliers Found on Fort Carson>> Nest of Neo-Nazi
> fly-boys uncovered at a Colorado Army post?!? (Sure grabbed my
> attention.) <

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/06/11/white-supremacist-fliers-found
-on-fort-carson.html?ESRC=army.nl