[Ads-l] Efforting

Fri Dec 29 20:18:01 UTC 2017

The Oxford English Dictionary has an entry for the verb form of
"effort", but it is labelled obsolete, and it does not quite match the
current usage.

[Begin excerpt from OED]
effort, v.
Obs.
trans. To strengthen, fortify.
a1661   T. Fuller Worthies (1662) Chesh. 180   He efforted his spirits
with the remembrance..of what formerly he had been.
[End excerpt from OED]

A court case in New Jersey in 1850 apparently employed "effort" as a
verb. I've only looked in Google Books with a single query, but it
seems that there are multiple instances in the 1800s that are similar
to the modern usage.

Year: 1851
Title: Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in The Supreme Court and
the Court of Errors and Appeals of the State of New Jersey
Reporter: A. O. Zabriskie
Volume: 2
Printer: Phillips & Boswell, Trenton, New Jersey
Internal Date: July Term 1850
Quote Page 516

https://books.google.com/books?id=sEgtAQAAMAAJ&q=efforting#v=snippet&q=efforting&f=false

[Begin excerpt]
The question was objected to upon the ground that the plaintiff was
thereby efforting to give his own declarations in evidence.
[End excerpt]

Garson