[Ads-l] Facebookery: "Sally refuses to be _gaslit_."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 16 15:20:49 UTC 2017

> still pretty early in the term's development.

Only if we assume in the face of what we know about word coinage, etc.,
that to "gaslight" did not originate shortly after the stage play or the
movie.

There is no more basis to assume that than to assume that it "obviously"
did.

What does it mean for a word (or the sense or form of a word) to "exist"?
If we find an indisputable 1944 ex. in a private letter not to be published
till 2018, that would not alter the limited number of facts that we have.
These are:

1. The verb appeared in print in 1961.

2. "Gaslit" appeared in 1965 (though not, n.b., in "print.")

3. HDAS attests a chance 1956 occurrence (not written down till 1968),
which as documentation may be accepted or rejected.

4. Found in print in 1961, the verb had somewhat wider circulation in the
mid to late '60s.

5. The verb has never been common in print.

6. It has come to national prominence in 2017.

In my opinion, the 1961 ex. suggests (without proving, of course) earlier
currency among (some) psychologists and psychiatrists. Again in my opinion,
these may be the group most likely to have created and used the verb in the
first place soon after the notoriety of "Gaslight."

So when was "gaslight," v., actually coined? Does its limited pre-1961
career (if any) matter in the history of English? Or not matter? Or sort of
matter? Why?

(Similar questions might be asked about my discovery of a Civil War "fucked
up," discussed here some years ago.)

JL