[Ads-l] "Alternative facts" for EOTY

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 24 13:03:16 EST 2017


Fox News reports on the President's documentation of the size of his crowd:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/21/fact-check-trump-overstates-crowd-size-at-inaugural.html

JL

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Joel Berson <berson at att.net> wrote:

> "Fact"?
>
> Joel
>
>
>       From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
>  To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>  Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:28 AM
>  Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "Alternative facts" for EOTY
>
> Perh. cf. the threads on "fact" = 'nonfact.'
>
> PS: Madonna uses the F-word. Stop the presses!
>
> JL
>
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > Oops, sorry, Stephen.  I failed to notice your message before I posted
> > similarly just now.  And of course, there’s also the point that the
> > “lie”/“not really a fact” in question below was the same one being
> > referenced today, about the millions of illegal immigrants who voted (as
> > proved by the facts “people believe they have...to back that up”) just to
> > deny Trump the landslide popular vote victory he richly deserved.
> >
> > LH
> >
> > > On Jan 24, 2017, at 5:00 AM, Stephen Goranson <goranson at DUKE.EDU>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Whatever Conway meant, it reminded me of a Trump supporter, Scottie
> Nell
> > Hughes, on the Diane Rehm Show last Nov. 30. Below is part of the
> > transcript. The context is available at
> > > http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2016-11-30/how-
> > journalists-are-rethinking-their-role-under-a-trump-presidency
> > >
> > >
> > > [....]
> > >
> > >  *
> > > 10:22:31
> > >
> > > HUGHESWell, I think it's also an idea of an opinion. And that's -- on
> > one hand I hear half the media saying that these are lies, but on the
> other
> > half there are many people that go, no, it's true. And so one thing that
> > has been interesting this entire campaign season to watch is that people
> > that say facts are facts, they're not really facts. Everybody has a way,
> > it's kind of like looking at ratings or looking at a glass of half-full
> > water. Everybody has a way of interpreting them to be the truth or not
> true.
> > >
> > >  *
> > >    *
> > > 10:23:00
> > >
> > > HUGHESThere's no such thing, unfortunately, anymore of facts. And so
> Mr.
> > Trump's tweet amongst a certain crowd, a large -- a large part of the
> > population, are truth. When he says that millions of people illegally
> > voted, he has some -- in his -- amongst him and his supporters, and
> people
> > believe they have facts to back that up. Those that do not like Mr.
> Trump,
> > they say that those are lies, and there's no facts to back it up. So...
> > >
> > > [....]
> > >  *
> > >    *
> > > 10:25:36
> > >
> > > HUGHESBut because in many states you can mail things in, those were --
> > so yes, there is facts to back up what I said and why Trump supporters
> > believe it. You are wrong, sir. [....]
> > >
> > >
> > > Stephen Goranson
> > >
> > > http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/
> > >
> > > ------------------------------------------------------------
> > > The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------------
> > The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
> >
>
>
>
> --
> "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the truth."
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>



-- 
"If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the truth."

------------------------------------------------------------
The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org


More information about the Ads-l mailing list