[Ads-l] Up the wazoo/kazoo

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon May 1 21:19:03 UTC 2017

The commonest (perhaps because respectable) Rhyming Slang sense for "Raspberry
Tart" is "heart", but "fart" is also found.  I don't know which is the earlier,
but the "heart" version, unsurprisingly, is more fully documented.

That said, Julian Franklyn , _A Dictionary of Rhyming Slang_ (1961), easily the
best current text in this area, has:

raspberry tart (1) Heart, (2) fart (1) had a fair currency in the 19 C., but
(2),
which was contemporaneous, killed it. The term applied to the actual breaking of
wind but that, now, only secondarily: an oral sound of the same character, and
expressing disapproval, is generally accepted as a ‘raspberry’. It is probably
of
theatrical origin, with reference to ‘the bird’, and is often reduced to razz,
or to
razzer.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KTZGAQAAQBAJ&dq=franklin+dictionary+rhyming+slang&q=raspberry+tart#v=onepage&q&f=false
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KTZGAQAAQBAJ&dq=franklin+dictionary+rhyming+slang&q=raspberry+tart#v=onepage&q&f=false

Franklyn, unfortunately, doesn't provide citations.

Robin.