[Ads-l] Up the wazoo/kazoo

Mon May 1 20:34:18 UTC 2017

P. R. -- "razz", which is generally believed to be from Rasberry Tart?

"Rasberry Tart" looks like Rhyming Slang for "fart" -- or is that already
agreed?

GAT

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Peter Reitan <pjreitan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> In 2003 there was some discussion here about the use of "up the
> wazoo/kazoo" as a reference to anus, in a thread started by Sam Clements, I
> believe.
>
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2003-April.txt
>

> In looking at kazoo and bazooka, and seeing "bazoo", "kazoo", "gazoo", and
> "razoo" all used to refer to an instruments that make loud or uncomfortable
> noises, and in the context of metaphorically blowing hot air (blow one's
> bazoo), it made me wonder whether it is "bazoo" might be the ultimate
> source of all of the later euphemisms that rhyme with "bazoo".
>

> And if so, could "razoo" have had some influence on "razz", which is
> generally believed to be from Rasberry Tart?

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- affectionately (of course) also known as The Dunghill
Toadstool.  (Here's a picture of one.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851