[Ads-l] "More than one way to skin a cat" (and related), antedated to 1823

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 10 21:46:46 UTC 2019

I know the idiom "more than one way to skin a cat" (and "more ways than one
to skin a cat") has come up here before (especially in a discussion of
whether "cat" could signify "catfish").

Way back in 2007, Stephen (Goranson) pushed the expression back to 4
November 1830. (See link far below for Stephen's example.)

FWIW, here's a sighting from 1823.

----------------

Now look here; (there are more ways than one to skin a cat, you know;)
whenever the mail arrives at the office, I am pretty sure to be on the spot.

(From The Old Colony Memorial and Plymouth [Massachusetts] Colony
Advertiser, 27 September 1823, page 1, column 4.)

----------------

The idiom appears in American newspapers with some frequency beginning in
late 1830, but it seems to have rarely appeared in print (well, in the
publications I have access to) before 1830.

But there's the related and apparently older "to kill a cat" version (see
2, below) and "to kill a dog" (see, for example, Barry Popik's column,
https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/theres_more_than_one_way_to_skin_a_cat.).
That these forms co-existed with (and perhaps preceded) the "to skin a cat"
version suggests that "cat" is more feline than fish.

-- Bonnie

---------------

1) Stephen's 2007 find:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2007-October.txt

2) A few examples of the "kill a cat" form in American newspapers:

"Tricks upon Travellers," or, "More ways than one to kill a cat." -- OLD
SAWS.

(Beginning of a column reprinted from "Eve. Post.," in The Newburyport
[Massachusetts] Herald, 28 January 1812, p. 3.)

---------------

No other nomination was made to the Senate to fill the vacancy, but after
Congress adjourned, we are informed, the President appointed Major
Vandeventer to the office; the mysterious Rip Rap contract notwithstanding.
There are more ways than one to kill a cat, saith the proverb.

(From "The appointing poser," The New-York [New York]Evening Post, 14 March
1823, p. 2.)

------------------

Nor will we refuse your requests neither, we will only give you the go-by,
& we'll show you that evasion is as effectual as denying. As the boys say
*there's more ways than one to kill a cat*.

(From "'Vested rights' of the Corporation," The New-York [New York] Evening
Post, 14 May 1829, p. 2.)

"There are more ways than one" to make a party as well as to "kill a cat."

(From "Working Men's Party," in The Practical Politician, and Working-men's
Advocate [Boston], 18 September 1830, p. 1. Apparently originating in The
Boston Courier.)