[Ads-l] back-formed verb form of the day

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Dec 19 21:21:04 UTC 2021

Tony Romo, announcer on Steelers-Titans game, Steelers have the ball on the
Titans' 1 yard line.  Romo and co-announcer Jim Nantz agree that a
quarterback sneak by Ben Rothlisberger is unlikely:

"Ben hasn't *quarterback-snuck* all year. Does he do it here?"

(In fact, he quarterback-snuck twice in a row, unsuccessfully and then
successfully.)

"To quarterback-sneak" is not that uncommon itself, but I don't think I've
encountered the strong (ablaut) past participle before.

LH