Proto Polynesian *fasu

Jeff Marck jeff.marck at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 9 13:53:57 UTC 2000

There were three related words in Proto Polynesian:

*masakitanga "father's sister"
*qilamutu "man's sister's child"
*fahu "privileges of a man's sister's child with respect to the man's
property,
       time, patience, etc. (and probably specific ceremonial relations that
       went far beyond those of other uncle-niece/nephew relations"

Ken Kiroiwa wrote an important unpublished paper on the subject when he was
a student at U. Hawai'i Dept. Linguistics in the 1970s. I incorporated that
and other information into a more general article entitled "Kin terms in
the Polynesian protolanguages" which was published by Oceanic Linguistics
in December of 1996... now also available as a chapter of my thesis which
Pacific Linguistics published last month. That terminological and
behavioural complex persisted around Western Polynesia but is essentially
lost in modern East Polynesia. But it was apparently continued in the Proto
East Polynesian community as witnessed by a few surviving forms: MQA
pahupahu "cross-sex sibling's child", HAW ilamutu, which I think is
translated as "field marshall" and MAO iramutu, or something like that,
which means "niece or nephew, esp. man sister's child".

Regards and happy holidays to all,

Jeff Marck