lia-makalero

Institute of Papua New Guinea Studies ipngs at GLOBAL.NET.PG
Thu Sep 7 00:52:20 UTC 2006

In the Tok Pisin list we (Ross Clark, Craig Volker, and I) discussed the
possible origins of maski 'forget it, nevermind' a while ago. Among Pacific
pidgins/creoles, it is apparently only found in Tok Pisin, Rabaul Creole
German (Unserdeutsch), and Chinese Pidgin English. In the latter, it is
doucmented as early as 1769, and its origins are usually said to be from
Portuguese mas que, meaning the same as in present-day Tok Pisin.

Clark cited examples from Papia Kristang (Malacca Creole Portuguese) of
maski 'although' and Malay meski(pun) 'although; in spite of (the fact
that)', and there is also apparently a Bengali term with a similar form and
meaning. He concluded that as Portuguese was the first European language
widely used in South and East Asia, it is not surpirsing that it widely
diffused (Malay and Begali would be within that area of influence), and
suggested the Tok Pisin form is ultimately from Portuguese but via some form
of Malay. The relation to German es macht nichts (the etymology suggested in
the standard Tok Pisin dictionary) is at best a "fortuitous convergence".
(Apologies to Ross if I have misrepresented his thoughts.)

The discussion here of Spanish and Tagalog would certainly seem to support
this.

Don

Don Niles
Acting Director & Senior Ethnomusicologist
Institute of Papua New Guinea Studies
Box 1432
Boroko 111
PAPUA NEW GUINEA