Teens and Twenties

David Mead david_mead at SIL.ORG
Fri Nov 23 16:24:50 UTC 2007

Hi,

As long as we're talking about the typology of
number systems, I thought I would mention the
case of Napu in Central Sulawesi, which mostly
has a straightforward decimal system with
reflexes of almost all the "regular" PMP forms,
but has a 1, 2, 3, 4, 4+1, 4+2, 4+3, 4+4 system
for counting days (one day from now, two days from now, etc.)  .

I'll quote perhaps a bit more extensively than is
needed from: Wesseldijk, J. W. 1923. De
telwoorden in het Napoesch, met medewerking van
Dr. N. Adriani [Numerals in Napu, with editing by
Dr. N. Adriani]. Mededeelingen van wege het
Nederlandsche Zendelinggenootschap 67:59-64,
141-164.  But I will try and highlight the revelant portions.

My own take on how this situation might have
developed historically runs as follows:
(a) staring point was reflexes of
Malayo-Polynesian forms 1 through 10, along with
a system of temporal adverbs for counting days
also based on these numerals for three and above
(see my squib in Oceanic Linguistics 40:167-176)
(b1) reflex of *epat 'four' replaced by iba
(b2) knowledge of higher temporal adverbs above
'four days from now' was lost in Napu (as has happened also in other languages)
(c)  changes (b1) and (b2) (perhaps in the
reverse order) led to the derivational connection
between ordinal numerals and temporal adverbs being lost/broken/severed
(d)  as the need arose for being able to specifiy
higher than 'four days from now', they innovated
4+1, 4+2, 4+3 and 4+4 as a new system

Well, enough said, on to the data.  If anyone
would like more than what I've quoted below,
write me personally and I'd be glad to send you a
translation of the entire article.

Yours,

David

/p. 59/
The ordinal numbers [in Napu] are:
isa ‘one’; dua ‘two’; talu ‘three’; iba ‘four’;
lima ‘five’; ini ‘six’; pitu ‘seven’; ualu
‘eight’; hahio ‘nine’; hampulo ‘ten’; hampulo
(hai) isa ‘eleven’; hampulo (hai) dua ‘twelve’;
hampulo (hai) talu ‘thirteen’; rompulo ‘twenty’;
rompulo hai isa ‘twenty-one’; rompulo hai ini
‘twenty-six’, etc.; talu pulona ‘thirty’; iba
pulona ‘forty’; pitu pulona ‘seventy’; hangatu
‘hundred’;  rongatu ‘two hundred’; talu atuna
‘three hundred’, etc.; hasobu ‘one thousand’;
rosabu ‘two thousand’; talu sabuna ‘three
thousand’, etc.; hariwu ‘ten thousand’; roriwu
‘twenty thousand’; talu riwuna ‘thirty thousand’,
etc.; hauu ‘hundred thousand’; rouu ‘two hundred thousand’.
Still further I have heard: hatai for ‘million’;
hamparapa ‘ten million’; haingu ‘hundred million’; hameliu ‘billion’.
Isa, the word for ‘one’, is exclusively used with
counting.  Next to this occurs hadua, which will
be discussed with the “numeral auxiliaries”, the
nouns which are compounded with a number to become measure words.
/p. 60/
The Napu numerals one through ten are the
generally used Malayo-Polynesian numerals.  The
following is to be remarked concerning the form.
Isa, iba and ini exhibit the vowel i in place of
the schwa: they stand for sa, ba(t), and n
(m).  Talu, from t lu, has a, the regular reflex of the schwa in Napu.
Dua exhibits d as onset; in compounds one
encounters ro, shortened from rua, e.g. rompulo
‘twenty’; rongatu ‘two hundred’; roogu ‘two
pieces’, etc.  The regular form for ‘two’ in Napu
should be rua; the initial consonant falls under
the R L D rule, the typical form of which should
be r in Napu, e.g. impira ‘when’, Javanese, etc.
pira, Toba Batak piga; Bisayan pila; ihira
‘they’, Javanese sira, Tagalog sila, Toba Batak
–sida; pare ‘rice in the husk’, Javanese pari,
Malay padi, Toba Batak page; puru ‘gall, gall
bladder’, Malay amp du, Javanese amp ru, Toba
Batak pogu.  However, there are also a number of
cases in Napu in which the R L D sound is d; e.g.
daa ‘branch’, Malay dahan; dui ‘thorn’, Malay
duri, Javanese ri; (ha)dingi ‘hear’, Malay d
ngar, Javanese rungu.  Besides, the alternation
between d and r is so usual, that the appearance
of dua and rua next to each other in the same language is unsurprising.
In iba ‘four’ the b is irregular; one expects
ipa, from ipat, from pat.  This iba is also
peculiar to Besoa and Bada, and to Leboni.  An
intentional deformation of an original ipa is not
to be considered; in Napu there is no word ipa,
which for one or another reason should have been
avoided.  The most likely explanation is that
Napu must have originally had a form of the
numeral with prenasalized p, such as e.g. Malay
mpat, Palu ampa, Mori ompa, etc.  Through
prenasalization the p must have become b, as in
e.g. Tolaki and Mekongga omba.  From this imba
must iba then have originated.  Apart from that,
the voicing of a voiceless prenasalized stop is
not regular in Napu; in Parigi this is indeed the case.
/p. 61/
The second form of the numeral four, namely
pata­which occurs in compounds in most of the
other Torajan languages, Javanese, Makasarese,
Bugis, Mandar, Mori, Tomini and still a number of
other languages (Bare’e patampuyu ‘forty’, next
to opompuyu; patambuya ‘four months’, next to
opombuya)­does not occur as such in Napu.
For that matter, in Napu only the numerals ‘one’
and ‘two’ are used in compounds.  Nevertheless
the form pata is known to me in Napu, namely it
is used in the counting of days with temporal
adverbs, e.g. kahalo ‘tomorrow’, naipua ‘day
after tomorrow’, naitalu ‘three days from now’;
naipata ‘four days from now’.  If one counts
further, then follows: naipata-kahalo,
naipata-naipua, naipata-naitalu,
naipata-naipata.  Bare’e also employs the form
naipata ‘after the day after tomorrow’.