Korean script for Cia-Cia

Christopher Sundita csundita at YAHOO.COM
Mon Aug 10 23:03:14 UTC 2009

I found another sample of the book in a better resolution: http://article.joins.com/article/article.asp?ctg=13&Total_ID=3717190

Here is a Romanization of the page on the left.

I noticed that they used  으   at the beginning of a couple of words.  In Korean, this letter represents an unrounded back vowel and is used to approximate consonant clusters and certain word-final consonants from foreign languages.  In this case, it appears to me that they have used it in order to bring about an initial /l/ sound.  I have represented this letter as a capital U rather than "eu" (as in Han'geul).

Jumongbuleau i daratan, indau apaviso hateu tai aso isoo."  Raja noterUripu mai akalano kelinji po uli nopoombau kurakura namantarae i daratan.

Baktu moia nokarato i daratan. Kurakura nopoombamo kelinji, "Maringba pooli pa vae hateng. Ikata harusU segera tapanjule i isUtana. Kemudian kelinji nopogau, "isoo kurakura budo! Binatang purae palkaluarano hateno? Pulai!" Kelinji norasumo i Ulalono Ulabuntomu. Kemudian kurakura nomanjulemo i tai sabil nokee.

There is a Korean translation on that page, but I don't speak Korean well.  Though it seems the first line of the second paragraph says "the rabbit spoke to the turtle."

--Chris Sundita

--- On Mon, 8/10/09, Christopher Sundita <csundita at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Christopher Sundita <csundita at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [An-lang] Korean script for Cia-Cia
To: an-lang at anu.edu.au
Date: Monday, August 10, 2009, 3:33 PM

A Korean news web site put up a sample of Cia-cia in Han'geul at http://www.cbs.co.kr/nocut/show.asp?idx=1224657

It is as follows:

아디 세링 빨리 노논또 뗄레ㅸㅣ시. 아마노 노뽀옴바에 이아 나누몬또 뗄레ㅸㅣ시 꼴리에 노몰렝오.

Romanized:  Adi sering pali nononto telivisi amano nopoombae ai nanumonto telivisi kolie nomoleo.

Have no idea what it means.  But I noticed that the word for television in Cia-cia is "televisi" and that they used an obsolete Han'geul letter, which is ㅸ, which stands /v/.   It hasn't been used in Korean for so long.  On my computer, the letter is not formed correctly with the vowel, unlike the others because of that.

--Chris Sundita

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----