verbs of carrying

Elizabeth Pearce Elizabeth.Pearce at VUW.AC.NZ
Tue Sep 2 04:00:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

Unua, Malakula, Central Vanuatu has '-sni' = 'put (flower) on head'

Cheers,

Liz
________________________________
From: an-lang-bounces at anu.edu.au [an-lang-bounces at anu.edu.au] on behalf of John Lynch [johnlynch123 at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 2 September 2014 12:03 PM
To: Deborah.Hill
Cc: an-lang at anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: [An-lang] verbs of carrying

Sorry. Should have added that Blust and Trussel alsorecostruct PAn *zuŋzuŋ, which may be closer formally to your sungi.

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:01 AM, John Lynch <johnlynch123 at gmail.com<mailto:johnlynch123 at gmail.com>> wrote:
Debbie

Ross Clark, in *Leo tuai: a comparative lexical study of North and Central Vanuatu languages, reconstructs Proto-North-Central Vanuatu *su?u-ni (? = glottal stop) with the meaning 'carry or wear in the head'. Quite a few reflexes refer to wearing a hat/putting some sort of covering on the head, or as nouns meaning 'umbrella', but two are a bit closer to the 'carry on the head' meaning you refer to:
  Namakir hi?in 'wear', hin-ek 'carry on head'
  Nguna suu=suu 'get dressed', suu-ni 'carry on head; put on, wear (on upper body)'

In my The linguistic history of Southern Vanuatu I reconstructed Proto-Southern Vanuatu *(a)-se(n,ŋ)a-i
'cover, wear on head', with reflexes like Kwamera seŋi 'cover, put over, shelter under, wear a hat' and Anejom aθŋa-ñ 'put on head as protection'.

Blust and Trussel in the Auistronesian comparative dictionary (http://www.trussel2.com/acd/acd-s_s1.htm#su) have reconstructed Proto-Austronesian *suquN 'carry on the head', with quite a few reflexes in Western Malayo-Polynesian, though none are given (yet) from Oceanic.

It seems likely that Longgu sungi derives from this: possible tjhe adjacency of the glottal stop and the n may have given rise to the velar nasal.

Hope this helps,

John