[An-lang] etymology of Malayic "kasi" ('give')

David Gil gil at eva.mpg.de
Wed Feb 18 03:42:01 UTC 2015

I would say that final /h/'s (< /*-q/) in Malay are just as much a mess
as final glottal stops, varying substantially and often unpredictably
from dialect to dialect, and certainly not limited to grammaticalized
forms like causative /kasi/.  In some dialects, the presence or absence
of final /h/ or glottal stop is conditioned by the intonational or
syntactic environment, with word-final /h/ or glottal stop favoured in
phrase-final environments but disfavoured in phrase-medial
environments.  Daniel mentioned Kupang Malay: there the situation is
even more complex, as forms such as /kasi/ may occur in phrase-medial
position not just as /kas/ but also as /kays/, undergoing metathesis,
presumably under substrate influence from Uab Meto.

To get back to the 'give' < 'love' etymology: I would thus consider the
putative distinction between forms /kasi/ and /kasih/ to be largely an
artefact of orthographic conventions.  For me, the problems with the
etymology were semantic: I say "were", because I think that Uri and
Daniel have provided convincing "bridging" contexts from languages in
Kalimantan and Sulawesi.

David

Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/