Arabic-L:PEDA:textbook guidance response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Nov 5 16:33:45 UTC 1999

1) Subject: textbook guidance response

Date: 05 Nov 1999
From: "Hammoud, Salah, Civ, DFF" <Salah.Hammoud at usafa.af.mil>
Subject: textbook guidance response

Re: Ahmad Khorshid's Query on Material Development for TAFL for Muslim
students: A couple of suggestions:

1)In the1980's,  a rather extensive set of materials was developed for the
Saudi Ministry of Education, by highly respected linguist Mahmoud Al-Seini
et al. These materials are well designed and thorough in content and
methodology.  Even if they are more suited for students who are in a
situation where Arabic is a second rather than a foreign language, they are
worth checking  out for inspiration and possible pitfalls. For example, they
only use Arabic and instruction is not mediated through English or any other
language. A holistic approach of skills integration is used throughout. The
series was titled Al ?Arabiyya li-an-Naashi'iin (Arabic for youngsters) and
includes teacher's manuals with careful instructions and teaching
suggestions.  Perhaps they have been updated since then.
A source where they may be still available is the Saudi Cultural Mission,
600 New Hampshire Avenue, Suite 500. Washington D.C 20037. Sorry I do not
have a URL or phone number handy.

2) I do not know if you are familiar with the new national standards that
ACTFL (American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages) is now
promoting for K-12 and beyond, in the hope that they will serve as a base
for all curriculum development, instruction and program assessment
initiatives.  Although language specific versions of these standards have
been elaborated for less commonly taught languages, namely Japanese, they
have not been developed for Arabic. They are based on what they refer to as
"the 5 C's " (Communication, Cultures, Connections, Comparisons,
Communities).
Even if your target student population of Heritage learners is also
specific, you may want to take a look at these standards, as they are
gaining endorsement of  a number of school districts, teachers' and
administrators' associations around the country.
For more information, see  Standards for Foreign Language Learning:
Preparing for the 21st Century. Allen Press. Inc., Lawrence, KS, 1996 .
Available from ACTL, 6 Executive Plaza, Yonkers, NY. 10701.  Tel.
(914)963-8830.

3) Our colleagues in the Departments of Near Eastern Studies at the
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor,  and Wayne State University may have
more practical advice, and you may want to consult with them.

4) Sakhr  Software distributed by Digitek (Falls Church, VA, Tel 1(800)
33SAKHR includes a few computer Assisted Arabic language programs aimed at
youngsters, in their product list.  Although I have not reviewed them
closely, they include a CD for sound and script, one for grammar and one for
Islamic history among others.

I hope this is helpful.

Salah.