Arabic-L:PEDA:textbook guidance response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Nov 12 18:16:41 UTC 1999

1) Subject: textbook guidance response

Date: 12 Nov 1999
From: Ahmad Khorshid <a_khorshid at hotmail.com>
Subject: textbook guidance response

Yes, Nimat, it is the project the Islamic Center of Southern
California started (two?) years ago. The (three?) sisters did
come up with material up to 3rd grade. At this stage, we want
to continue to 8th? grade. Eventually, we should write books
to 12th grade.

Now, my question to you and to other members of the list is how
can I avoid the shortcomings of the first stage? How can I write
a good textbook? What are the principles I should keep in mind?
I've already got some good advice, but I'm hoping that more
people share their experience, especially those with previous
experience in writing textbooks.

Here is another specific question. I have in mind using frequency
counts of English words, not Arabic, and translating them into
Arabic. What do you think of that?