Arabic-L:PEDA:Jordan Program responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Mar 31 17:34:19 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Jordan Program responses

Date: 31 Mar 2000
From: Mutarjm at aol.com
Subject: Jordan Program response

Greetings.

You might contact Professor Mohammed Sawaie in the Department of Asian and
Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures at the University of Virginia (UVa) in
Charlottesville. His contact data follow below.

He is the UVa contact for the bilateral summertime Arabic program (intensive
and refresher, rather than an initial acquisition course) that UVa conducts
with Yarmouk University in Irbid.

     Name:                      Mohammed Sawaie
     Department:              Asian & Middle East Lang & Cul
     Messenger Mail:        Cabell Hall, Room B038
     Office Phone:            (804) 924-7917
                                     (804) 982-2304
     Fax Phone:                (804) 924-6977

     Registered E-Mail Addr:  ms at Virginia.edu
                                          ms at unix.mail.virginia.edu

I do not know about similar programs at Jordan University in Amman. Professor
Sawaie is perhaps the most knowledgable person in the U.S. to ask about such
programs offered in Jordan

Let me know if you are interested in a refresher/familiarization  course in
the Gulf Arabic dialect (Emirati), and I can suggest two possible sources at
universities in the UAE.

HTH.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards from Los Angeles,