Arabic-L: TRANS:Indirect Speech Responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Sep 4 18:32:32 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Indirect Speech Response
2) Subject: Indirect Speech Response

Date:  04 Sep 2001
From: Jackie Murgida <jmurg at star.net>
Subject: Indirect Speech Response

On indirect speech, I think that if the original is indirect, the
translation should be indirect. Translating from Arabic into English (whcih
is what I do), that means rendering "qaala innahu sa-....." as "He said that
he would..." I can't imagine a situation when it would be ok to switch it to
direct speech and first person: He said, "I will..." because it definitely
would be misleading, making it seem like a verbatim quote, rather than the
author's report of what the person said.

Of course, a translation can never be a "verbatim" quote, but we can be as
accurate as possible.

Hope this helps.
  Jackie Murgida