Arabic-L:PEDA:Posting info on Summer Programs

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jan 16 17:27:21 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Posting info on Summer Programs

Date:  16 Jan 2003
From:moderator
Subject:Posting info on Summer Programs

It's the time of year when summer programs start sending info to
Arabic-L for posting.  I am happy to post this info.  Here, however, is
what usually happens.  One of you tells your secretary to send the
advertisement to Arabic-L, and you give him/her the address.  That
person, not a subscriber to Arabic-L, thereupon sends the ad to that
address, and gets a response from the server telling them they are not
members, and therefore cannot post.  After consulting with you, this
person then sends in a subscription to Arabic-L, even though they are
only joining so they will be able to post that one message.  A few
months later, when that secretary moves on and that e-mail address
becomes invalid, I get a bunch of error messages, which take a long
time to clear up, and for those months this secretary is getting all
these unwanted Arabic-L postings.
So....
If you are having a secretary or student who is not an Arabic-L
subscriber post info about a summer program, could you just have them
send it to me, directly, at dil at byu.edu, with a line at the top that
says: for posting on Arabic-L.  That would solve both my problem and
yours, and save everyone a lot of time.
One last thing.  These secretaries, not knowing Arabic-L policies,
consistently send your announcements as attachments, some of which I
can open, and some not.  PLEASE have them post the announcement simply
as a text message in the body of the e-mail address.
Thanks.
Dil