Arabic-L:LING:Needs Info on wallaahi particle

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Jan 13 18:39:11 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Needs Info on wallaahi particle

Date: 13 Jan 2004
From:Mette Vedsgaard Christensen <normvc at hum.au.dk>
Subject:Needs Info on wallaahi particle

I am a Ph. D. student from University of Aarhus, Denmar, and I am
looking
for litterature on the Arabic discourse particle "wallah".

I am currently trying to work out how adolescents with Arabic, Turkish,
Farsi or Somali as their mother tongue make use of "wallah" in their
second language - Danish. I work with tape recorded everyday
conversations, and I have found that the use of "Wallah" is very
frequent
when the young bilinguals speak Danish.

"Wallah" is used in many ways and situations. In order to classify and
describe the phenomenon properly, I will need to know more about the use
of this particle in it's original language. I am therefore looking for
litterature that deals with the use of " Wallah" (in it's varying forms)
in colloquial Arabic. However I would of course also be interested in
descriptions of "Wallah" in Turkish or other languages to which the
particle has been exported.

The "Wallah"s on my tape almost exclusively appear in the "Wallah"-
form,
and it is always pronounced in Arabic - even by the kids with Turkish as
their mother tongue.

  I am already familiar with the following article: Mustafa A. Mughazy:
Discourse Particles Revisited: The Case of Wallahi in Egyptian Arabic

The adolescents of Arabic origin on my tapes are all from Jordan, Syria,
Lebanon or Palestine.

Thank you!

Mette Vedsgaard Christensen
Ph.D. Student