Arabic-L:LING:Needs refs on homophonic roots

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Fri May 21 23:09:45 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Needs refs on homophonic roots

Date: 21 May 2004
From:Sami Boudelaa <sami.boudelaa at mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk>
Subject:Needs refs on homophonic roots

        Dear all,
        I'd be interested to know if there is any work, theoretical or
otherwise, on homophonic (homographic) roots in Modern Standard Arabic.
Failing this, does any one hoard a list of such roots that I can have a
look at. I am trying to find out if homophonous roots like {jml} in
[jamalun] camel, and {jml} in [jamiilun] handsome are treated by the
brain in the same way as roots that have different semantic
interpretations in different surface forms as is the case of  the
famous {ktb} which encodes the meaning of writing in the form
[kaatibun] writer; but has got nothing to do with writing, at least
synchronically,  in [katiibatun] squadron.
  thanks in advance
  Sami Boudelaa