Arabic-L:LING:English to Arabic Transliteration

Thu Feb 2 18:01:06 UTC 2006

1) Subject:English to Arabic Transliteration
2) Subject:English to Arabic Transliteration

Date: 02 Feb 2006
From:otakar.smrz at mff.cuni.cz
Subject:English to Arabic Transliteration

Let me comment on the recent digest of the above topic:

>> Hi everyone,
>> I am just wondering if anyone knows of an English to Arabic
>> transliterator
>> that I can use in an application. Thanks for your help.
>> Ghita

My understanding of this question is: does anyone have a system that
can take English (the language, not 'script') text, probably proper
names etc., turn them into their phonetic equivalent, and use the
Arabic script to encode this 'pronunciation'?

I do not have such a system. However, I suggest combining some
English phonetic dictionary for the first step, and then using
something like Encode::Arabic which I refer to below, in the
direction transcription -> approximate orthography (like from ArabTeX-
ZDMG to UTF-8).

> From:andyf at umich.edu
>
> I am sending along some c code that I have written, that does some
> various codepage conversions for Arabic, including transliterating
> Arabic into and out of the semi-Standard Buckwalter
> transliteration. I am also including some ridiculoualy simple Perl
> scripts that run under perl 5.8+ that make the c code obsolete.
>

> From:dil at byu.edu
>
> I have written a (ridiculously simple) Perl script that will change
> Arabic to transliteration and back, with any transliteration system
> that has a one to one correspondence to the Arabic letters (a
> unique latin character for every unique arabic character).  I have
> implemented it as a bbedit filter, which means you can simply
> choose the text, click a button, and it instantly makes the
> change.  It would also work with text wrangler, the free,
> downloadable version of bbedit.  This is on a mac, os x.  I would
> be happy to make it available to anyone who is interested.

Let me advertise once more at this list the Encode::Arabic module for
Perl that is available to any Perl programmer via CPAN or through PPM
repositories, see http://search.cpan.org/dist/Encode-Arabic/ and
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Encode-Arabic/Arabic.pm.

The module supports the multi-purpose encodings of ArabTeX as well as
Buckwalter transliteration (both in the original and the XML-
compliant variants).

There is no problem in extending the Encode::Arabic module to handle
Dil's transliteration, too, or of anybody else who would like to have
their transliterations or transcriptions incorporated and connected
for free (e.g. with no extra programming effort) to the other
encoding schemes.

For those who prefer the cut-and-paste method of conversion and
editing, there is an online web interface to Encode::Arabic, see
http://ufal.mff.cuni.cz/~smrz/Encode/Arabic/.

To learn how to work with this interface, enter a simple query first,
let us say

mrHbFA

Then, set the Decode Setting to Buckwalter (which says the query is
supposed to be the Buckwalter transliteration).

In Encode Setting, chech out all options except for UTF-8,
Buckwalter, ArabTeX-ZDMG and ArabTeX. Into these four encodings our
query will be encoded, showing the result as characters only (no HTML
codes or anything, we've checked that out).

Click the Decode/Encode button, and wait a little for the results.

Take the result for ArabTeX, copy it into the query field, say it is
in ArabTeX-ZDMG and click Decode/Encode again. See what happens.

I will be happy to provide further clarifications individually.

Best regards,

-- Otakar Smrz