Arabic-L:LING:Alternative spellings for input

Wed Aug 1 16:51:26 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Alternative spellings for input
2) Subject:Alternative spellings for input

Date: 01 Aug 2007
From: "Ola Moshref" <omoshref at gmail.com>
Subject:Alternative spellings for input

salaam

One common spelling mistake is the taa' marbuuta and haa'. Many
people write
both as haa':

مؤمنة
مؤمنه

with or without the two dots.

Ola

Date: 01 Aug 2007
From: "Dr. M Deeb" <muhammaddeeb at gmail.com>

*I.   Mr. Mahmoud Elsayess allows two "normals" (normal 1 & normal 2)
for
his three word citations.  I'm afraid his suggested (normal 2) is a
dubious
category in which he lends credence to a hypothesis unsupported by
etymology, morphology or grammar.  I find it hard to understand his
assertion that, whilst spellings suggested by visitors vary from the
Qur'ān,
"the result will be the correct format."  Correct format of or for
what?  I
wonder if our electronic age makes allowances for visitors' whims to
fiddle
with the established canon of the language.*

*II. I fail to see any redeeming wisdom behind: *

*(1) the eliding of the cutting hamza of Ibrahim (إبراهيم); *

*(2) dotting the final y*ā*' of the maq*ṣū*r proper noun, 'Isā
(عيسى); *

*(3) mixing up two semantically different verbs: the triliteral verb
(أتى)
with the derived form (III) of the same entry (آتى).* The
triliteral verb/
يأتي ، أتى / means / جاء / ، / أتى به /, whereas verb
form (III) / آتى /, /
يؤتي / means variously / أعطى وساق إلى /.  Both forms
are used properly in
different qur'anic loci.  The elision of the madda from form (III) in
qur'anic and other contexts would violate the sense.

III. For the record, in all its 69 occurrences in the Qur'ān, the
cutting
hamza is maintained throughout.

IV. Orthographically, the proper noun / إبراهيم / may be
written without the
alif of the long vowel, thus / إبرهيم /.  Some substitute this
elision with
a dagger alif.  (Cf: / يسن /, / هذا /, / ذلك/, /
هؤلاء /, /لكن / &tc.

IV. Etymologically, Arab lexicographers unanimously acknowledge that /
إبراهيم / is /  اسم أعجمي/ i.e., a non-Arabic proper
noun, yet they maintain
the cutting hamza in all its variants.  As a lexical entry, it is placed
under the hamza (أبر) and / or under the letter bā' ((برهم, with
cross-references.  Interestingly, Gesenius  renders /
אַבְרָהָם  / as
'father of a multitude,' and alludes for comparison to the Arabic /
رُهام  / (a
large number), thus implying a third lexical classification. (See on
this
point, *Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament*).

With kind regards to Mr. Elsayess and all.
--
M. Deeb