Arabic-L:LING:januub vs. januubiyy responses

Thu Jan 4 17:06:47 UTC 2007

1) Subject:januub vs. januubiyy response
2) Subject:januub vs. januubiyy response

Date: 03 Jan 2007
From:Sana N Hilmi <shilmi at gmu.edu>
Subject:januub vs. januubiyy response

I thought that when we say Januubiyy Baghdad, we are making it dual,
and we mean that it is the Southern parts: South Eastern and South
Western. But, I'm almost positive, the area is not in Baghdad, but it
is south outside of Baghdad. If we say, Januub Baghdad, it is in the
south part of the city of Baghdad.

Miss Sana Hilmi, M.A.
Arabic Professor and Coordinator
Modern and Classical Languages