Arabic-L:PEDA:Colloquial First

Wed Jul 18 18:06:50 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Colloquial First (Intermediate Approach)
2) Subject:Colloquial First (Integrated Program)
3) Subject:Colloquial First (Research and Experience)

Date: 18 Jul 2007
From:Waheed Samy <wasamy at umich.edu>
Subject:Colloquial First (Intermediate Approach)

I think it is important to consider that there is an intermediate
approach (thus mirroring the language situation itself).  For
example, in an MSA curriculum, there is plenty of room to introduce
'non-MSA'.  In linguistic terms one could introduce simple
phonological contrasts between the MSA dipthongs /ai/ and /aw/ and
show their corresponding equivalents /ee/ and /oo/ in 'non-MSA'.
Similarly one would take aspects from morphological, syntactic, and
lexical, features, including mixtures thereof, and introduce these
during the course of instruction.  For example, it would be useful
for learners to know the MSA definite article 'al as well as the 'non-
MSA' one 'il, and that the many relative pronouns in MSA are all
equivalent to 'illi, and so on.

Waheed