Arabic-L:PEDA:Colloquial First

Fri Jul 20 22:29:36 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Colloquial First
2) Subject:Colloquial First

Date: 20 Jul 2007
From:"J" <jmurg at ttlc.net>
Subject:Colloquial First

Dear Colleagues:
I studied colloquial first at Georgetown U. in the late 60s:  2
semesters, 8
credits per semester.  This was required of all Arabic majors.  Then
we did
MSA and only MSA for the rest of the undergraduate program.

My only regret is that there was not a second year of colloquial and
that so
much of the focus of so much of the MSA study (I eventually got a
Ph.D.) was
on i'raab, parsing sentences, and defending one's choice of case
endings and
mood markers -- and not on useful vocabulary and expressions and such.

If I had it to do all over again I'd love to try the integrated approach
used by Munther or the approach that Mustafa is planning. I
especially like
the idea of conversing in colloquial but reading and writing MSA.  It
irks
me to be able to completely vowel an Arabic text more accurately than
most
Arabic native speakers but not to know how to say some simple thing in
colloquial.

And I might add, familiarity with colloquial is very helpful in MSA
reading
comprehension and for translation, which is my field, because
regardless of
what some people would like, real Arabs use regionalisms and
colloquialisms
all the time in their supposedly MSA texts.

Glad I did colloquial first,
-- Jackie Murgida