Arabic-L:GEN:Vowel markings with Mellel on Mac responses

Dilworth Parkinson DILWORTH_PARKINSON at BYU.EDU
Tue Apr 8 14:50:32 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Vowel markings with Mellel on Mac response
2) Subject:Vowel markings with Mellel on Mac response
3) Subject:Vowel markings with Mellel on Mac response
4) Subject:Vowel markings with Mellel on Mac response
5) Subject:Vowel markings with Mellel on Mac response

Date: 08 Apr 2008
From:Michael Fishbein <fishbein at humnet.ucla.edu>
Subject:Vowel markings with Mellel on Mac response

Vowel markings with Mellel on Mac

Although Mellel handles Arabic and the vowels very well, and will even
allow the text of a Word document generated on Windows and opened as
blank squares on the Mac to be cut and pasted into Mellel, whereupon
it miraculously turns into Arabic, Mellel does not know how to
position shadda plus another vowel over a consonant; the two overprint
each other, both on the screen and when the file is printed.

I have found a work-around. Unicode includes single glyphs for shadda
plus each of the vowels, and some of the Mac Arabic fonts can access
these glyphs. I suggest putting them into your list of favorites in
Character Palate, so that they are readily accessible. Also, to
facilitate matters, one can type the combinations normally and then do
a global search and replace in Mellel. It works beautifully. Into the
Find box, type shadda and the vowel; in the Replace box insert the
compound glyph from your favorites. One can even turn the search into
a macro. Unfortunately, you cannot use an OR search to include all the
combinations of shadda and a vowel, because the replacement needs to
vary on the basis of what is found.

Put the following compound glyphs into your favorites ). Look under
Unicode Arabic, Arabic Presentation Forms-A, Arabic Presentation Forms-
B), the first number (hex) after Unicode is what you are looking for:

ARABIC LIGATURE SHADDA WITH FATHA (Unicode FC60, UTF8 EF B1 A0)
ARABIC LIGATURE SHADDA WITH KASRA (Unicode FC62, UTF8 EF B1 A2)
ARABIC LIGATURE SHADDA WITH DAMMA (Unicode FC61, UTF8 EF B1 A1)
ARABIC LIGATURE SHADDA WITH KASRA (Unicode FC62, UTF8 EF B1 A2)
ARABIC LIGATURE SHADDA WITH DAMMATAN (Unicode FC5E, UTF8 EF B1 9E)
ARABIC LIGATURE SHADDA WITH KASRATAN (Unicode FC5F, UTF8 EF B1 9F)
ARABIC LETTER SUPERSCRIPT ALIF (Unicode 0670, UTF8 D9 B0)
ARABIC LETTER ALIF WASLA (Unicode 0671, UTF8 D9 B1
ARABIC LIGATURE ALLAH ISOLATED FORM (Unicode FDF2, UTF8 EF B7 B2)
ARABIC END OF AYAH (Unicode 06DD, UTF8 D8 9D)
ARABIC LIGATURE SALLALLAHOU ALAYHE... (Unicode FDFA, UTF8 EF B7 BA)

Not all the Arabic fonts have all these glyphs. Bayan seems to have
most of them, except for Alif Wasla, which will come out in a
different font (and smaller). I have not located shadda with fathatan.

Michael Fishbein, Lecturer in Arabic
Dept. of Near Eastern Languages & Cultures
366 Humanities Building, UCLA
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1511
tel. 310 206-2229