Arabic-L:LING:l to n change in Arabic

Wed Aug 13 18:56:37 UTC 2008

1) Subject:l to n change in Arabic
2) Subject:l to n change in Arabic
3) Subject:l to n change in Arabic

Date: 13 Aug 2008
From:Adam McCollum <acmccollum101 at gmail.com>
Subject:l to n change in Arabic

Off the top of my head I do not know of any studies dealing
specifically with this well-known phenomenon (outside of Semitic
languages too, e.g. Grk. πορφύρα and Lat. purpura but purple in
Eng.; Eng. paper, but Span. papel), but for examples from a
comparative Semitics perspective see Sabatino Moscati, ed. An
Introduction to the Comparative Grammar of the Semitic Languages
(Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz, 1964) §8.26 and C. Brockelmann, Kurzgefasste
vergleichende Grammatik der semitischen Sprachen (Berlin: Reuter &
Reichard, 1908) §47.  I do not have Brockelmann's much larger
Grundriß der vergleichenden Grammatik der semitischen Sprachen to hand
but, if you have access to it, check the table of contents or index
for "Dissimilation von Sonoren" or the like).  I hope that helps.
Adam McCollum